- If you are interested in gathering humanitarian supplies for disaster relief and/or for the rebuilding of the Katrina ravaged gulf, please contact us to get help figuring out how/what to gather.....
- Sending the wrong things to the wrong place is worse than sending nothing at all.
- We can help you do it right!
- We are developing a template for a National Relief Trucking System in concert with national level players
- This is not expected to come to fruition for weeks, perhaps months
- In the meantime, we have several suggestions regarding where to find trucking/warehousing
- In the Northeast, the Citizen Action Team, in cooperation with the United Way, Barrett Logistics, and UPS Freight have a shipping hub where pallets can be sent to the gulf for $50.
- CAT may be able to arrange for similar "per-pallet" rates from other regions. Please call for more information.
- In addition, other groups are helping arrange for shipping of donated supplies, including FreeHaul.
- Readers are advised to ask a lot of questions of those helping to arrange for trucking of donations to make sure that they know where their shipping dollars is going when they give money to these groups. The groups may or may not be using some of your money for their own expenses and/or personal incomes.
- Just because there are links to these groups from the CAT site does not mean that these other groups adhere to the same rules as CAT does with respect to "shipping dollars". If you give CAT $for shipping, it all goes to UPS, for their "humanitarian shipping rate". Different groups have negotiated different humanitarian rates with UPS and other shippers, and different terms, so they are worth contacting to explore the rates that they offer. But make sure to ASK QUESTIONS to know where your shipping dollars are going.